I watched Game Three from the Red Loft bar at Nationals Park, waiting out the two-hour rain delay. The only reason we trudged out in the rain was the prospect of seeing Nats rookie Jordan Zimmermann make his MLB debut, and I knew I'd be able to watch the game at the Red Loft.

Mission accomplished on all fronts.

Alexander Semin scored twice, with Brooks Laich and Tom Poti chipping in, and Simeon Varlamov, he of the seven total NHL appearances, shut out the New York Rangers on 33 saves as the Washington Capitals took Game Three of the best-of-seven series 4-0.

I'll write a detailed summary in the morning, but here are some quick impressions, NOTEBOOK STYLE:

* Looks like the Caps got themselves a goalie.
* It's critical that the Caps get the first goal in the game. They just play differently.
* Donald Brashear made a big difference in the first period, mixing it up in the crease. That one play served notice that the Caps weren't going to get pushed around tonight.
* Sean Avery is a jerk. I don't think I would like him if he were on my team. He cost his team tonight.
* Special mention to John Erskine, who took a punch from Avery and stood his ground, drawing the roughing penalty.
* Bonus points to Laich for the garbage goal. GO TO THE NET!

0 comments